Thursday, July 23, 2009

The journey begins.....with one letter



After what seemed like a lifetime, Chase received his mission call on April 24, 2009.
We called our family and friends to meet us at the church and be with us when he opened the letter. Wow! It was such an exciting moment! We had someone filming, someone taking pictures, and we had several cell phones all turned with people listening in as he opened and read his destination.
We put up a huge United States map and we all wrote on sticky notes where we thought he would be going and placed them on the map!

We also had a bag full of different items so that when he saw where he was going, he would put on that item and we would try to guess where it was he would be going! It seemed like forever as he carefully tore open the envelope!





Notice all the cell phones lined up on the table in front of him. Can you tell that I am a nervous wreck there in the background??? I could not wait to hear the news!





As he opened the letter, I told him to get out the item he needed from the bag and put it on so we could start guessing! He looked at me and said, "there is nothing in the bag to go with where I am going!" Total panic crossed my mind as I thought we had everything covered. It was then as he read the words:
You are called to serve a mission in the Brazil Sao Paulo North Mission. Everyone let a a scream of OH's and AHH's and lots of laughter....of course, I was left in shock!




Here is Chase with our current missionaries that are now serving in the East Texas mission. This is Elder Richmond and Elder Ellertson. They have been so good to let Chase go out with them on teaching appointments, etc. This not only helps to prepare Chase for his mission, but also strengthens his testimony. I am thankful that the missionaries were able to be there for Chase and share in this great moment in time!


Thanks to all you that helped us get prepared that evening with cameras, maps, videos, cell phones, etc, and just for being there to share with us this special moment of a lifetime! We appreciate all that you do and continue to be there for Chase.

more pics to follow......



2 comments:

  1. Chase will be a great missionary. We are proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chase, I know your family is so proud of you! I will miss you at Everett, you are such a joy to be around.....I will be able to keep in touch with you though as your sister Camri will be in my class this year...Good luck on your venture....I am glad I got to know you this year...I am so proud of your witness in the Lord and your service to him!
    God Bless! Mrs. Haynie

    ReplyDelete